Here are some resources to assist with developing good mental health as well as preventing self-harm and suicide. Check back often for new and updated information! Also, please report any links that do not work or any information you find that needs updating.
You may also want to check the resource page for substitute teachers.
Crisis Text Line
- General information about the Crisis Text Line including a link to the talk by its founder.
- Crisis Text Line Flyer – Printable flyer with tear off coupons containing the Crisis Text Line number. Excellent for posting in high schools and colleges.
- FAQ on LD 609 This is a document provided by the Maine Suicide Prevention Program and Maine Department of Education that answers some of the frequently asked questions about this law as it applies to suicide awareness and prevention in Maine Public Schools.
- How to Report Suicidal Users on Facebook The folks at Facebook are well-known for changing things, but this step by step instruction sheet should be reasonably close to the current procedure!
- The Bridge Between Suicide and Life by Kevin Briggs This TED talk doesn’t include a lot of psychology, just some very plain talk by a retired state trooper who is credited with talking hundreds of people off their suicidal perch on the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Confessions of a Depressed Comic by Kevin Breel A TED talk that not only sheds some needed light on depression, it describes how this young man saved his own life.